Forum Title: Window term help (w/ pictures)
The previous owner of our house replaced the original window with some cheap unknown brand vinyl window in our bedroom. I'm trying to complete it now that I'm restoring the rest of the trim in the room - not to mention the fact that it leaks air like crazy. I'm trying to figure out the correct terms for what needs to be done (ie: what was left out from completing the original install) but seem to be little more than confusing myself. The original windows are all flush depth with the wall with the storm window being more where this window is located so I don't even have any other examples to go by. Another full-window view is at There is a gap on both vertical sides which were stuffed with pink insulation as well as at the top, which has some sort of vinyl attachment piece connected to the window. Is the portion of wood that is visible the rough opening with the wood framing visible? Do I need to look for a jamb liner or is it that finished part just casing? I've done dozens of searches here and through search engines but part of the problem is I'm likely not searching the correct terms so I've not been able to find anything. Help is VERY appreciated!
Category: Windows & Doors Post By: ELAINE JACOBS (Colorado Springs, CO), 01/28/2019

Do whatever trim details you want then run the siding to it. Make sure to flash so water does not get in.

- CARLA LEONARD (Cheyenne, WY), 02/16/2019

It looks like you have a replacement window that has been put into an existing window frame. The top of the window is covered by an interior stop, but it looks like the interior stop on the sides of the window is missing. It's hard to tell from the pictures. So, as Krypton mentioned, you just need to cover the sides of the window with a stop, which is just a piece of wood that is big enough to cover that gap... usually about 1/2 thick, 1 1/4 wide. You won't be able to go to the store and find anything that's exactly that size- usually it takes a table saw to rip stock down to the right size.

- WENDY VARGAS (Arlington, VA), 03/03/2019

Do yourself a favor. You have very basic molding and it will be easy to remove it and install minimally expanding foam (blue) behind where the boards are. I think you will find that is where your cold air is coming in. Replace the trim and install either quarter round or square stop molding as krypton said where the insulation is showing, but do it all around the window.

- KURT DAWSON (Great Falls, MT), 02/24/2019

Remodeling Resources & Home Repair Links

requestaquote Get Free Quotes callnow 888-506-9527